Valentines Day

I was curious as to where Valentines day came from and this is what i found.

There are varying opinions as to the origin of Valentine's Day. Some experts state that it originated from St. Valentine, a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity. He died on February 14, 269 A.D., the same day that had been devoted to love lotteries. Legend also says that St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it "From Your Valentine". Other aspects of the story say that Saint Valentine served as a priest at the temple during the reign of Emperor Claudius. Claudius then had Valentine jailed for defying him. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honour St. Valentine.

Gradually, February 14 became the date for exchanging love messages and St. Valentine became the patron saint of lovers. The date was marked by sending poems and simple gifts such as flowers. There was often a social gathering or a ball.

Its amazing to me how many if not all of our holidays are in remeberence of mytars for Christ, or missionaries (st patrick) Christmas and Easter being Christ centered. And yet we have sucessfully covered over those facts. One by one the commercial aspect has overshadowed the truth.

Andrew and i are trying to figure out what we can do as a couple on this day. I am not a huge valentines day person, so i suggested we do cards and then something together. Like massages, camping (once we are married) but something together. Not one person worried about what to get and is it enough...we don't need a man made day to show our affection. So acknowledgement and fun together! That is what i am thinking...??

I am curious if any of you have a tradition with your significant other, would love to hear it. : )



Comments

Marti said…
Will and I pretty much skip Valentines Day. We may go out to eat, but that is about it. We married on March 1 so sometimes we just combine the two celebrations into 1 weekend. :) What pretty feet you and Andrew have.
Anonymous said…
Everyday is Valentine's Day for us! Gross, but true. We alternate Valentine's Day. For example, this year is my turn to buy & plan. I try to get creative with our activity, event, and/or gifts. He doesn't have to buy a thing or even think about this year. It takes some pressure off of both of us each year, saves some money, and makes it creative.
Stephanie said…
I read your comment about Yes Man! I have seen it and that totally cracked me up. I should definitely join a photography jogging class!
Stephanie said…
I read your comment about Yes Man! I have seen it and that totally cracked me up. I should definitely join a photography jogging class!

Popular posts from this blog

week not planned

Extended Family Getaway..

Summer is..